Human Resources and Payroll

New Employee Welcome (NEW) Center Online




How do I start my Mason email?

To activate your Mason email, you will need to set up your Patriot Pass (your NetID and strong password). This will also allow you to access many other Mason computer systems.

1. Go to

2. Click “here” next to option 1

3. Follow the instructions to get your Mason NetID and Patriot Pass password

Additional information about online accounts is available at

Please contact the ITS Support Center (,, 703-993-8870) for help.

How do I set up my telephone and voicemail?

All telephone and voicemail requests must be made by your department’s Telecom Coordinator. Contact information for Telecom Coordinators is available at Voicemail information can be found at

How soon can my health benefits coverage start?

If a new employee begins working at Mason on any date other than the first of the month, health plan coverage can be effective the first day of the following month; if the health enrollment form is received at Human Resources within 30 calendar days of his/her date of hire. For example, a new employee's first day at Mason is August 10th. Health coverage for this new employee can begin on September 1st, if the completed health enrollment form is received at Human Resources on or before September 8th.

For employees who start at Mason on the first day of the month, health coverage can be effective beginning on that same day, if the enrollment form is received by Human Resources within 30 calendar days. For example, if employment begins on February 1st and the enrollment form is received within 30 days of the employment date, the health coverage is effective on February 1st.

Employees must enroll in health coverage within 30 calendar days of employment. Employees who waive health insurance when first hired, can only elect coverage under a qualifying mid-year event (for example, marriage or birth of a child) or during the annual open enrollment in the spring.

More information about health insurance and other benefits for Mason employees can be found on the website For answers to specific questions, please email or call the benefits team at 703.993.2600.

Where is my new employee orientation and what will be covered?

Click on the NEW Center online and in the left hand column select which orientation you will be attending - faculty, staff, or adjunct. There you will find directions, as well as the topics which will be covered at your orientation.

How do I get keys to my office?

The hours and campus locations for the Key Control Services Offices can be found at Key request and electronic access forms are also available there. These forms should be completed and signed by the key authorizer in your department and sent in beforehand. Your supervisor or department's office manager will direct you to this authorized person. Please include your office or cell phone number on the form, so you can be easily contacted for key pickup. You will need to bring you GMU photo ID with you to the Key Control Services Office, when picking up your key.

When is my first paycheck and what dates will I be getting paid?

Semi-monthly employees are paid on the 1st and the 16th of the month, with adjustments for holidays and weekends. Paychecks received on the first of the month cover the work period from the 10th through the 24th of the previous month. Paychecks received on the 16th cover the work period from the 25th of the previous month through the 9th of the current month.

Some classified staff and all wage employees are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Bi-weekly employees are paid every other Friday. If you are not sure what pay schedule you are on, please check with your supervisor. The calendar for pay dates and more payroll information can be found at

Direct deposit of your paycheck is a mandatory condition of employment at Mason. We will assist new employees at the New Employee Welcome (NEW) Center with setting up their direct deposit, so please bring your bank account information when you visit. New employees who have not set up their direct deposit before their first payment will have to pick up their paycheck from the Human Resources & Payroll office and complete their direct deposit form.

Payroll specialists are available to answer all your questions. Please contact them at 703.993.2600 or by email at

Is child care available at Mason?

The Child Development Center (CDC) provides on-site day care for children of faculty, staff, and students on a space-available basis. Information about the CDC which is located on Mason's Fairfax campus - including tuition rates, summer camp program, staff biographies, and a synopsis of a typical day for children - can be found on the CDC's website at and by calling 703.993.3750.

Mason faculty, staff, and graduate students have a complimentary subscription to Sittercity. is a comprehensive database of in-home caregivers providing child care, senior care, pet care, home care, and tutoring. Sittercity makes it simple and fast to find local care providers. To learn more and to register for free access to, please visit myMasonHR. Additional child care resources are available on the work/life website.

Important note: Mason does not own, sponsor, or endorse You should always carefully screen and check the references of any caregivers, including those who are listed on, before you retain their services.

How does the tuition waiver work?

Full-time employees may take up to six credit hours tuition-free per semester, with a maximum of twelve credits per academic year.

Part-time faculty and part-time classified staff may take up to four credits per semester, with a limit of eight credit hours per academic year.

Classes must be scheduled outside of working hours (unless you are on an approved formal flexible work agreement) and on a space available basis. To pursue a degree using a tuition waiver, you must be accepted in the degree program.

Dependents are not eligible for tuition waiver.

More information about tuition waiver can be found at or by calling the Registrar's Office at 703.993.2441.

How do I get reimbursed for commuting to Mason on mass transit?

Full-time state employees in northern Virginia can receive a financial incentive to commute by public transit or van pool. This is a George Mason University paid, tax-free benefit according to current federal regulations. In order to participate in the Commonwealth Commuter Choice Program you should first submit an application. Then you will be required to submit a monthly request form.

SmarTrip cards are required to be in the employee's name. A "Request for Monthly Benefits" application form can be found at

In order to receive Commonwealth Commuter Choice benefits, recipients need to provide a monthly log. This tracking form can be found on

Beginning June 1, 2011, benefits will be processed as a debit card system. Your account will be debited when you use it at a pay station.

Forms must be received in the Transportation Office on a monthly basis. Completed forms may be submitted by e-mail to; faxed to 993-8575; put in the campus mail to Transportation, MS 1J6; or dropped off at the Transportation Office in the Nottoway Annex. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcome by calling 703.993.2828 or by emailing

What is the holiday schedule?

The University observes 12 paid annual holidays including:

Please see the current holiday schedule. A religious holiday and observance calendar is available to assist in scheduling meetings and events.